The cost to attend a professional conference can start to add up, especially if it’s in a city that’s expensive. One of the many unique aspects of Washington, DC, the DDW 2015 host city, is that there are many different, free activities.
The Walter E. Washington Convention Center is centrally located with access to other parts of the city at your fingertips. Already book your hotel room? Use our interactive hotel map to see how close you will be to the action.
Check out a few ideas below and visit the Destination DC website to learn about all 100.
- Watch the National Zoo’s conservation efforts firsthand along the Asia Trail. Pay a visit to giant pandas Mei Xiang and Tian Tian – and of course, their new adorable offspring, Bao Bao. Take a peek at their tiny neighbors, the red pandas.
- See the stars in Rock Creek Park at the only planetarium operated by the National Park Service. Tours of the night sky are free.
- Explore an exhibition and create an art project to take home through the Freer & Sackler Gallery‘s Imaginasia family programming.
- See the National Mall with DC by Foot, a walking tour company that gives free, kid-friendly tours (gratuity recommended) infused with games, fun facts and trivia. Tours include the Arlington Cemetery Walking Tour, the Lincoln Assassination Walking Tour and the Twilight Washington Bus Tour.
- Take pictures with Fala, the famous presidential pooch, at the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial.